Basic Facts about Mold

Basic Facts about Mold

How common is mold in buildings?

Molds are very common in buildings and homes. Mold will grow in places with a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been flooding. Mold grows well on paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products. Mold can also grow in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.

The most common indoor molds are CladosporiumPenicillium, and Aspergillus.  We do not have precise information about how often different molds are found in buildings and homes.

How do molds get in the indoor environment and how do they grow?

Mold is found both indoors and outdoors. Mold can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, and pets can and be carried indoors. When mold spores drop on places where there is excessive moisture, such as where leakage may have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or where there has been flooding, they will grow. Many building materials provide suitable nutrients that encourage mold to grow. Wet cellulose materials, including paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products, are particularly conducive for the growth of some molds. Other materials such as dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery, commonly support mold growth.

How do you know if you have a mold problem?

Large mold infestations can usually be seen or smelled.

How do molds affect people?

Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can lead to symptoms such as stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes, or skin. Some people, such as those with allergies to molds or with asthma, may have more intense reactions. Severe reactions may occur among workers exposed to large amounts of molds in occupational settings, such as farmers working around moldy hay. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.

In 2009, the World Health Organization issued additional guidance, the WHO Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and Mould pdf icon[PDF – 2.65 MB]external icon. Other recent studies have suggested a potential link of early mold exposure to the development of asthma in some children, particularly among children who may be genetically susceptible to asthma development, and that selected interventions that improve housing conditions can reduce morbidity from asthma and respiratory allergies.

A link between other adverse health effects, such as acute idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage among infants, memory loss, or lethargy, and molds, including the mold Stachybotrys chartarum  has not been proven. Further studies are needed to find out what causes acute idiopathic hemorrhage and other adverse health effects.

There is no blood test for mold.  Some physicians can do allergy testing for possible allergies to mold, but no clinically proven tests can pinpoint when or where a particular mold exposure took place.

3 Ways to Kill Mold Naturally, Tampa Residents

3 Ways to Kill Mold Naturally, Tampa Residents

One of the most commonly known facts about mold is that it loves growing in dark, damp, warm, and humid places. This makes your kitchen, basement, and bathroom three ideal places in your house where you are likely to see the growth of mold. The main reason for that is these three areas are in constant contact with moisture, which presents an ideal breeding ground for mold and bacteria.

There may be times when mold is growing in your home, and you may not even realize it. This is because it tends to enter and grow very quietly and quickly before you can even sense it or notice its presence.

This is why you should always be well-equipped with tools that can help you with immediate mold removal. Leaving mold untreated can be very dangerous as it can lead to several illnesses and allergies, and can also damage the infrastructure of your home.

Therefore, you must get rid of it immediately. Here are some natural ways to kill mold to get rid of it at first sight. Before that, though, make sure you wear the right protective equipment (gloves, a mask, etc.)


This common household ingredient works as an excellent mold-killer and successfully cuts through the growth of mold spores. It has a very pungent smell and has great stinging properties that ensure successful mold removal.

The best way to use vinegar to kill mold is to spray it directly onto the affected areas. If the smell is too overpowering for you, you can dilute it with a little bit of water. After spraying it on the mold-affected areas, let it sit for a few hours during which it will not only kill the mold but will also prevent it from growing any further.

After a few hours, scrub the surface with a hard brush and then wipe it with a clean cloth.

Hydrogen Peroxide

This is another ingredient commonly found in most households, and it features great anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. It is extremely effective for mold-removal from a variety of areas, such as floors, tile grout, the kitchen sink, the bathroom shower, etc.

Pour three percent hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and then spray it on all the mold-affected areas. Leave it for only ten minutes since it is very strong and highly reactive.

After ten minutes, scrub the surface with a brush till it’s perfectly clean. Wipe the area with a clean, damp cloth in order to remove any mold residue that may have been left behind.

Baking Soda

Known as one of the most versatile ingredients that can be found around the house, baking soda has excellent properties that effectively kill and remove mold from your home. The best part about it is that it not only kills the mold but also absorbs all the moisture from the affected areas to prevent it from growing again.

Simply mix some baking soda with water and spray the mixture on the moldy areas. With the help of a scrubbing brush or a damp cloth, scrub the area till the mold is effectively removed. Since baking soda is very mild and is a natural disinfectant, it doesn’t leave any lingering smell or residue.  If the growth of mold has spread too much in your home, it is best to immediately call a mold remediation company to ensure quick and effective mold removal.